N17: Occupy the Banks
F29: Shut Down the Corporations
National Call to Action website
What are we demanding and how are we explaining it to people?
For the action on February 29th we are demanding that ALEC, as an undemocratic organization, disband immediately. We also demand corporations remove themselves from those decisions that affect our lives. We demand the direct democracy necessary to be able to decide the shape of our society so that we can work together to address those challenges confronting us. The future of our species and the planet requires this.
What is the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)?
The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) is composed the biggest corporations in America, like ExxonMobil, Bank of America, BP, Monsanto, Pfizer, and Wal-Mart. Corporations use ALEC to buy off legislators and craft legislation that serves only the interests of corporations and not people. They then duplicate and spread this corporate legislation in Washington, D.C. and in state legislatures across the country. The anti-labor legislation in Wisconsin and the racist bill SB 1070 in Arizona are two recent and destructive examples of what corporations use ALEC to do. ALEC Exposed has great information about this undemocratic organization.
Why are you targeting American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)?
We see this as a first step in reclaiming our voices and challenging our society’s obsession with profit and greed. The larger problems with the our economic system and the role of corporations in our society will take long-term organizing and action. Targeting ALEC is an opportunity to succeed in accomplishing something (disbanding the organization) on the way to the more systemic changes we wish to see in our society.
- Press Release for Portland F29
- Full press packet for Portland F29.
- Photos at portlandoccupier.org andshutdownthecorporations.org (may be used with attribution)
Selected coverage of Portland Action Lab and the February 29 “Shutdown the Corporations” action:
- Mother Jones – 2/29/12 – “Occupy Rallies Against Powerful Right-Wing Group You’ve Never Heard Of“
- Common Dreams – 2/21/12 – “Occupy Movement Targets Corporate Interest Group with Ties to Legislators“
- The Guardian – 2/20/12 – “Occupy movement targets corporate interest group with ties to legislators“
- The New York Times – 2/11/12 – “Occupy Movement Regroups, Preparing for Its Next Phase“
- The Oregonian – 2/6/12 – “Occupy Portland exits hibernation“